Friday, August 19, 2011

My fitness story from January 2011

I wrote this back when I first got involved in Beachbody, but I thought I would put it on my blog. Since writing this, I am down 18 lbs, but for me that is good. I still have more to go, but I continue to work on getting back to where I was before going back to college to finish my degree.

Here’s my Fitness story:

On July 31, 2001, I quit smoking and joined Weight Watchers. I really had a great leader and enjoyed the meetings. I lost about 45 lbs and kept it off. I started running and ran 2 marathons, about half a dozen half marathons, and more 5 and 10K's than I can count.

In 2005, I had my son, Nathan. I returned to Weight Watchers, lost the weight, and continued to exercise.

In 2006, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Although it could be a grim diagnosis, I maintained a positive attitude, followed the doctor’s orders, and continued to exercise. At this point, I really consider it more of blessing then a curse. It really helps me keep my health and well-being at the top of my list. If I get too stressed or off track on my exercise path, I am reminded of how important it is to my health to keep it all in balance.

Towards the end of 2008, my employer asked me to pursue my Bachelors Degree. I received my Associates in 1991, so I had been out of the school scene for quite a few years. So with a high paced full time job as a lab manager and a young son, I went back to school on-line. Thanks to my husband and a whole lot of time in front of the computer, I completed my degree in August 2010. I even graduated with honors (Magna Cum Laude).

In March 2010, my employer let me know that I needed to transfer from Texas to Ohio. I was about to start my last semester, which I was enrolled in 3 classes in effort to finish that summer. Luckily my house in Texas sold quickly, and we were able to find a house quickly. This left a whole lot of things on my To-DO list in addition to a full-time class load: the move, the, organizing a busy lab that was about to go in to the process of a remodeling and restructuring, getting my son registered somewhere for kindergarten, and hoping my husband would find a job in the new state quickly.

.... All of this left very little time for exercise. Unfortunately the scale crept back up to where I was before Weight Watchers. I tried to go back, but the meetings just didn't click with my busy schedule. The meetings here reminded me of a fat camp for retired people (and I really don’t mean that in a bad way just trying to describe the scene at these particular meetings). This atmosphere may work for some people, but I need support and motivation to pursue a healthy lifestyle. When we walked in to the meetings here in the new state, people were sitting at tables eating chips, and it just didn’t have the same energy I had experienced previously at other WW meetings.

I knew I needed something else. In Texas, we had belonged to the Fort Worth Runner’s Club, and all the great people and regular group runs kept us motivated to exercise. When I searched for a runner’s club, the closest I could find was one in Columbus (yes, I know that far from Grove City). Unfortunately the weather here isn’t as pleasant as Texas, which makes winters runs not quite as pleasant.

My neighbor, Takako knowing that I was trying to get back in shape suggested I try Shakeology. I was a little skeptical at first, but I was quite familiar with some of Beachbody’s other products such as P90X, Turbo Jam, and Hip Hop Abs. After contemplating and reviewing the information, I decided to give it a try. Thanks Takako for the jump start I needed to get back in to working out!! I appreciate the gentle push more than I can express.

I had bought Turbo Jam years ago, and really enjoyed the music and the combination of dance moves, kicks, and punches. Because of this, I decided to try Turbo Fire. I really love the music and how fun the workouts are.

I have met some of the other Beachbody coaches on Facebook and have picked up some great tips and ideas. To track my diet and exercise, I started using the free website: www.myfitnesspal.com

I have met a lot of nice people, since becoming involved in my journey towards getting back in shape. Kassie, Aaron, Jodi: What you guys accomplished so far on your weight loss and fitness journey is amazing! Thank you to everyone who continues to motivate and inspire me to Keep Pushing Play!!!


P.S. I am approaching my 10 years of quitting smoking and I can honestly say, "I haven't killed anyone yet!" LOL- Just kidding!!


No comments:

Post a Comment